Meet Houdini. Houdini is your average, happy, hyper girl that LOVES to get into things and chew to her little heart’s content. This has not served Houdini too bad in the past, not even an upset stomach, she has the proverbial gut of steel! (She may give her dad stomach pains sometimes though!)
And then, Houdini met an opponent that she could chew up, but it was there to stay….. Houdini met Gorilla Glue.
Little known to most people, Gorilla Glue has the potential to cause a foreign body when ingested. Even small amounts can equal a big problem. The glue, after it reaches the stomach reacts with the gastric, or stomach acid and expands multiple times forming a solid ball. This makes dogs unable to intake food and is just a big ball sitting in the stomach that will cause vomiting.
So in little Houdini’s case she had chewed up a portion of a Gorilla Glue bottle several days prior to her visit and had been acting a bit off. She was vomiting a bit and really wasn’t eating. She was still a very enthusiastic patient, but less so than usual. And I could feel a firm, softball sized mass right where her stomach was located. Her dad had found a bottle of chewed up glue just that morning and read the warning that said it could cause obstruction if ingested.
And boy did it cause an obstruction. Check out these X-rays below. I guess it could be a weight loss tool, but not a safe one!!! No room left for any food in her stomach.
The only fix for these situations is surgically removing the big ball of glue. Houdini had blood drawn, was prepped for surgery and had surgery to remove the giant ball of glue. Houdini did great through surgery and afterwards.
By the next morning she was up and begging for food. She started on a special diet that afternoon and never missed a beat. In fact I think she was a little upset that we wouldn’t feed her more at a time.
Houdini just had her staples out the other day and continues to do well. She is back to her normal diet now and has had no adverse effects post operatively.
This is the second case of Gorilla Glue ingestion we have seen at Blue Cross Animal Hospital and both patients have done great!